Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Game Progress

It’s been a while since I last touched base with you all about the progress of the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game I’m working on. There’s been a whole heap of progress, including more assets having been made, a drafted plan for the map of the game and I’ve even made a couple of the stages for the game. Whilst I can’t give away too much yet, I have a story made up, along with direction on where to go – and most importantly, the majority of the mechanics of the game has been coded. Effectively then, we’re on the way to successfully releasing a game – But it’s going to be a while before a full release.

Continue reading “Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Game Progress”

Editing: A Slow Process

At the beginning of the year, I set out on my new venture to start working on things I am passionate about. One of my passion projects was to start my journey into video game creation, which I’ve been going through at a steady rate. Because I considering myself freshly “re-interested” in development, I think I’m getting the right balance of learning to progress. Speaking of which, check back next week for more information on my first title that I want to have available through this website. The other passion project was to write a novel, a fantasy story and you know what, I managed to write mine during last year’s NaNoWriMo. Was I prepared for the editing process? No. Here’s why.

Continue reading “Editing: A Slow Process”

Creating A Spritesheet in GIMP

GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulation Program, is a tool I’ve been using for a long time. Typically you could compare it to Photoshop, or other image manipulating programs. It had a bit of a rocky beginning, but nothing unimaginable. What makes it so great is the fact it’s FOSS, otherwise known as Free Open-Source Software. As such, you can go to their website (linked at the start of this paragraph), download it and use it for free with no questions asked. Anything you make on it can be used for commercial ventures too.

So why is this so important? Well, working on a game means I need assets.

Continue reading “Creating A Spritesheet in GIMP”

Current Project: An Adventure/RPG Hybrid

Over the years, I’ve come up with some strange ideas. Thankfully, sometimes I don’t need to come up with an idea, not completely. My fiancĂ© Jake mentioned that one of his friends, who released a book not too long ago, asked if I had ever considered making a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book. You know, one of those stories where you have numbers, you choose an option and follow the number to see what happens in your story? Well, I thought that was a great idea, so I started working on it… Except it wouldn’t be me, if I didn’t have some twist. So I’m making a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure styled video game, with RPG elements too.

Continue reading “Current Project: An Adventure/RPG Hybrid”

NaNoWriMo 2019: My Key Takeaways

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. Last year, I opted to take part in the event and I managed to complete it. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to commit to writing 50,000 words, so whilst it isn’t necessarily to finish a novel, it should at least have you well on your way to having completed it. Unfortunately, I always get far too involved in these types of projects, so I ended up writing over 71,000 words. Whoops. However that month was one of my most technically impressive months of writing, in terms of how accomplished I felt at the end of it. Here’s what I learnt from the annual event.

Continue reading “NaNoWriMo 2019: My Key Takeaways”

Creating A Game of Chance in Unity

Having returned to Unity for the first time in about 9 years, I was pleasantly surprised at how markedly improved the platform was. Always reliable, but now it feels immensely better than when I first played with the software. In my time running my previous website, I learned a lot about development in general, giving me a much needed edge. I made an incredibly simple game in about an hour and a half, which I think is pretty good. In any event, here’s what I made, here’s how I did it and here’s what I learned in the process.

Continue reading “Creating A Game of Chance in Unity”

Timlah’s Texts Has Gone Personal

All good things come to an end, especially when personal reasons are added to the mix. For the past six years, I’ve been the creator and leader of a group called GeekOut South-West, which was a branch of a larger group we called GeekOut UK. Our efforts were to encourage folk to get out of the house and be proud geeks together, which I feel we successfully managed year on year. 2020 is going to be a year of change for me, as GeekOut UK has now officially closed its doors. They say when one door closes, another opens, which is exactly what today’s all about; opening a new door.

Welcome to Timlah’s Texts.

Continue reading “Timlah’s Texts Has Gone Personal”